When you make a booking either online or via the branch and have received a reservation confirmation you agree to accept all of the conditions set out below
- If you cancel your reservation of fail to turn up for collection charges may be applied as set out in these rental terms.
- Online Hire charges are paid at the time of booking and branch bookings at the time of collection however in both cases on collection of the vehicle you will be required to present a valid UK Credit or Debit card which will be used to secure the booking with a Preauthorised amount of between £250 and £500 depending on the vehicle. This will be released back to your card on return of the vehicle usually within 7 working days depending on your card issuing bank.
- You consent to AM Hire applying any additional charges to your credit or Debit card which are relevant to the hire such as fuel, excess mileage, damages etc. These will be calculated on return of the vehicle.
- All requests for cancellation must be made by either telephone or email to email@example.com. Cancellations cannot be made via the website.
- All online bookings are prepaid and non-refundable.
- All Minibuses and Double Cabin Van incur a minimum cancellation fee of £100.00
- If you fail to turn up to collect a vehicle or a rental cannot proceed because you fail to provide the relevant documentation or preauthorised payment no refund will be made.
- Any bookings made directly with an AM Hire branch may be subject to a cancellation charge if cancelled within 24 hours of check out date.
- All drivers must be aged between 21 and 70 inclusive and have held a full driving licence for a minimum 24 months.
- Driver’s aged 21-25 must have held a clean UK driving licence for 2 years or more and may only rent cars up to 1.6 litre and Long wheelbase Vans.
- An additional Daily Charge of £10.00 applies to driver’s aged 21-25 along with a £500 pre-authorisation deposit.
- Drivers over the age of 70 years should contact the AM Hire branch for help and advice on bookings.
Driving Licences and History
- All drivers must present a valid driving licence with his or her current address, in person, at the time of collection. No copies of licences will be accepted, and we cannot accept an expired photocard.
- All drivers must have held a full driving licence for at least 24 months.
- Licence endorsements up to 6 points may be accepted depending on offence category. please check with the local branch for further details of unacceptable endorsements or of any conditions applied to additional points.
- If a driver has been disqualified from driving, we will only rent a vehicle 7 years or more after the return of licence.
- Minibus hire over 14 seats is only available to drivers holding category D1 on their licence.
Identification required if UK Resident
When collecting the vehicle, All Drivers must present:
- A valid driving licence (Photocard)
- If old (paper-only) style, official photo ID must also be presented e.g.: passport or a valid photo identification.
- DVLA Unique Code.
- We cannot accept an expired photocard (see Driving Licences section for details)
- If the licence does not show current home address (this includes licences issued in EU countries and driver resides in UK), a valid passport or national identity card must be presented.
- An additional form of ID to confirm home address such as a credit card/bank statement or a current formal document (e.g. utilities bill, council tax bill etc).
- Please contact the branch prior to hiring if you have any questions regarding identification required.
Identification required if non UK Resident
When collecting the vehicle, Drivers must present:
- Passport (or National Identity card if European citizen if this has been used to enter the UK)
- A valid driving licence from country of residence (licence must show an English translation if not issued in Europe)
- Travel documentation confirming dates of arrival and departure to/from UK
- Vehicles with more than 9 seats (including the driver) may not be rented by non-UK Licence Holders. Please contact branch for further details.
Rates include Insurance (subject to excess damage liability), VAT, breakdown cover, and limited mileage (Usually 150 miles per day unless otherwise specified in the vehicle specifications.
Vehicles hired for 28 days will incur no more than 2000 miles during this period.
Please contact the renting location for full details on additional mileage packages.
You are responsible for the following charges
- The rental and any other charges we work out according to this agreement.
- Any charge for loss or damage to the vehicle.
- A minimum refuelling charge of £30.00 if you return the vehicle with a difference in check out levels.
- All Court charges and intended prosecutions for parking, traffic or any other offences including seizure of vehicles by Customs and Excise or Vehicle inspectorate.
- We will charge you for loss of income not covered under an insurance agreement.
- Any Delivery or Collection charges.
- Daily Interest on any unpaid fees or charges.
- Value added Tax and any other taxes on all charges.
- Cancellation fees as set out in section on Cancellations.
Our insurance and damage protection programme
By signing the agreement, you are accepting the conditions of our insurance.
- We have a legal responsibility to have third party insurance, this provides cover for claims made if you injure or kill anybody or damage their property.
- We will provide cover for loss or damage to the vehicle if you have initialled the box marked Loss/Damage Excess. If you accept this, you still have to pay an amount up to the Excess every time you damage the vehicle.
- We will provide cover for theft and damage to the vehicle caused during an attempted theft. You still have to pay the Excess every time the vehicle is damaged.
Your own insurance
If agreed by us, you may arrange your own fully comprehensive insurance to cover the full duration of the rental as long as you can provide a valid insurance document from your insurer with our vehicle description and registration number noted.
We must be satisfied with the cover and policy conditions, and you must not change them.
If the vehicle is damaged or stolen you will let us negotiate with the insurers about whether the vehicle can be repaired, or what compensation is due to us.
You are financially responsible for settling the full claim and paying all costs if the policy you have fails and the vehicle is damaged, lost or stolen, or a claim as made by any third party.
You will be responsible to pay AM Hire any excess payments on your policy.
What to do if you have an accident
If you have an accident you must not admit responsibility. You should get the names, addresses and vehicle details of everyone involved, including witnesses and images of both vehicles at the scene.
You should also:
- Make the vehicle secure
- Inform the Police straight away if anyone is injured, however minor.
- Inform the Police if there is a disagreement over who is responsible
- Call AM Hire straight away
- You will be required to fill in an Insurance Claim form and pay your excess; even it is not your fault.
Rental Payment Terms
When you book online you accept the conditions set out below:
The AM Hire location will do its best to have the vehicle, which is the subject of a confirmed reservation available on the day and at the time you requested. If you decide to cancel your reservation, or do not arrive to collect your reserved vehicle on the day and at the time you have reserved it, charges may be made and these are explained in these Rental Terms.
Please read this carefully. If there is anything you do not understand, or agree with, please ask a member of staff at your AM Hire Branch.
By booking online and accepting these Terms and Conditions you consent to AM Hire applying charges to your Credit or Debit card account. Your initial rental charges are paid for at the time of booking. You will not be required to make any further payments until you collect your vehicle.
When you collect your vehicle you will be required to present the credit or debit card used to secure your booking, which will be charged as follows:
Your Credit or Debit Card will be charged for any additional charges agreed to plus a further pre-authorised amount of either £250, £300 or £500 depending on the vehicle reserved. When you return the vehicle at the end of the hire period, the total additional charges, including any charges for fuel, damage, etc will be calculated, and your card will then be charged for the final amount. At this point the pre-authorised amount will be released back to your credit card account. This may take up to 7 days, depending on your card issuing bank.
Please note: AM Hire operate a CHIP and PIN facility only
In the event that you return the vehicle earlier than the date originally specified, it is the Branch Managers decision to make a refund.
If you wish to return the vehicle after the time originally specified, you should contact the branch to agree this. You will be charged for every day, or part-day you have the vehicle after the original agreed date and time at the rate specified on the rental agreement when you collect the vehicle
You will have the vehicle for the period shown on your rental confirmation. If you do not bring the vehicle back on time, or if you do not contact us and get our agreement to an extension of your rental, you are breaking the conditions of this agreement. We can charge you for every day, or part-day you have the vehicle after you should have returned it to us. Until we get the vehicle back we will charge you the daily rate specified on the rental agreement when you collect the vehicle.
You will be asked to sign a Rental Agreement when you collect your hire vehicle and the terms of this agreement are as follows:
Your contract with us
When you sign the rental agreement presented to you at the branch, you accept the conditions set out on both sides of this rental agreement.
Please read this agreement carefully. If there is anything you do not understand, or do not agree with, please ask a member of the branch desk staff to explain.
You will have the vehicle for the period shown on your rental confirmation. If you fail to return the vehicle at the specified time and have not contacted us to agree an extension of hire you are breaking the conditions of this agreement and we will charge you the full daily vehicle rental cost for every additional day you have the vehicle.
In the event that you return the vehicle earlier than the date originally specified, it is the Branch Managers decision whether to approve a refund.
- You must look after the vehicle and the keys to the vehicle. You must always lock the vehicle when you are not using it, and use any security device fitted to, or supplied with the vehicle. You must always protect the vehicle against bad weather, which can cause damage. You must always make sure that you use the correct fuel.
- You are responsible for any damage over the height of five foot six inches caused by hitting low objects, such as bridges or low branches.
- You must not sell, rent or dispose of the vehicle or any of its parts. You must not give anyone any legal rights over the vehicle.
- You must not let anyone work on the vehicle without our permission.
- You must let us know as soon as you become aware of a fault in the vehicle.
- You must return the vehicle to the agreed branch, during opening hours displayed at that branch. One of our staff must see the vehicle to check that it is in good condition. A full inspection of the vehicle will be carried out at the valeting stage and you remain responsible for any damages until this stage is completed.
- If we have agreed that you may return the vehicle outside business hours, you will still remain responsible for the vehicle and its condition until a member of staff reinspects it.
- You will have to pay for reasonable costs of repair if:
- We have to pay extra costs to return the vehicle to its condition when the pre-rental inspection was carried out. (e.g. specialist valeting)
- The vehicle has been damaged internally or externally whilst in your care.
- You are responsible for any loss or damage to additional equipment hired at the time of rental, including but limited to Satellite Navigation equipment, baby seats, trolleys etc.
- Before you return the vehicle, you must check that all property has been removed as we are not responsible for any loss or damage to personal property.
Conditions for using the vehicle
You or any authorised driver named on the rental agreement must not.
- Use the vehicle for hire or reward
- Use the vehicle for any illegal purpose
- Use the vehicle for racing, pace making or teaching someone to drive
- Use the vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drive the vehicle outside England, Scotland and Wales unless we have given you written permission.
- Load the vehicle beyond the manufacturer maximum weight recommendations, and ensure the load is secured safely.
- If the vehicle is a commercial vehicle, use it for the purpose for which you need an operator licence if you do not have one
- You must not use the vehicle or allow it to be used off road or on roads unsuitable for the vehicle.
- You must not drive the vehicle in restricted areas.
- You must not use the vehicle for driver training activities.
We have maintained the vehicle to at least the manufacturer recommended standard. We assure you that the vehicle is roadworthy and suitable for renting at the start of the rental period. We are responsible for loss caused by:
- The vehicle not being fit to drive
- AM Hire not having the legal right to rent out the vehicle.
Damage Liability (Excess)
Insurance is subject to a Damage Liability (Excess) that varies according to vehicle size
Damage liability reduction is available on certain vehicles (See branch for further details) for an additional cost but is not available to driver’s aged 21-25 or over 70 years.
All vehicles have a £1000 damage liability; a reduction is available on certain vehicles.
Reduction of damage liability from £1000 to £500 £ 6.00 per day
Reduction of damage liability from £1000 to £250 £ 10.00 per day
Reduction of damage liability from £1000 to Zero is not available
Please note glass, tyre and damage over five foot six inches is not covered by Damage Liability reduction
Damage Liability waiver may be withdrawn at any time (e.g. extreme weather conditions) at the discretion of AM Hire Management.
Ending the Agreement
If you are a consumer, we will end this agreement straight away, if we find out that your belongings have been taken away from you to pay off debts, or a receiving order has been made against you. We may end this agreement if you do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement.
If you are a company, we will end this agreement straight away if:
- You go into liquidation
- You call a meeting of creditors
- We find out your goods have been taken to pay off your debts
- You do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement
If we end this agreement it will not affect our rights to receive any money we are owed under the conditions of this agreement. We can also claim reasonable costs from you if you do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement. We can repossess the vehicle (and charge you a reasonable amount) without using unreasonable force.
The laws of the country in which it is signed govern this agreement. Any dispute may be settled in the courts of that country.
Vehicle images are examples only. Specific models and sizes cannot be guaranteed.
All vehicles are supplied with a registered level of fuel at the start of the hire. Customers are requested to check and sign for the level of fuel. Differences will be charged at the end of the rental at the locally determined price. (A minimum refuelling charge of £30.00 applies)
Prices quoted are for use in mainland UK only. Additional charges and mileage restrictions will apply for overseas use. All overseas rentals are a minimum three-day hire. Customers must supply their own five-star European recovery cover when travelling outside mainland UK. Insurance will be supplied as part of AM Hires overseas policy.
You or any authorised driver must not use the vehicle for towing unless we have given you written permission. AM Hire does not include any insurance cover for trailers, caravans etc.
You agree that we may use any information you have given us to carry out our own market research. If you break the agreement, we can give this information to credit reference agencies, the Driver and vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), debt collectors, and any other relevant organisation.
Renting A Vehicle Has Never Been Easier
Reserve by Phone
SUNDERLAND Call Us 24/7
In Just a Few Clicks
Reserve by Phone
NEWCASTLE Call Us 24/7